Sunday, October 3, 2010

Designer Forum

For an assignment in class, we had to design a Designer Forum as part of the newspaper's 'life' section. For this assignment, there were a few considerations I took note of. First was that this being specifically a DESIGNER'S forum, the segment had to look 'artsy' enough but at the same time still look like it belonged in a newspaper. What I took this to mean basically was that it had to be artsy but not too artsy.

Yeah, a little confusing for me, too.

Therefore what I did was to look at the actual life segment in the newspaper and try as much as i could to follow a similar style so that it didn't deviate away too much from the style of a newspaper article.

So I copied their header so that I could implement it into my article



After that I did an initial design for the forum. The focus of this design was mainly the header, which was done using a Hans Solo font. I though that the font had just enough edge to it that it would make the article look designer-ish.



However, after much thought, I decided that there weren't enough design elements to it and that the use of font in itself was not enough to make the forum look like it was made for designers. Therefore I change it up a bit, and added more colour, specifically the red in the middle, to make it really stand out.



I put the header in diagonally across the page - something that isn't normally seen in the newspapers - and had lines branching out of the header and leading out to articles on the page. I thought that this design was unconventional enough to look like it was for designers, but still stayed true to the essence of the life segment of the newspaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment